The Financial Assistance Application
To be considered for financial assistance at Nobles, you must complete your Parents' Financial Statement (PFS) by January 15, 2014 and submit your 2013 tax information by March 1, 2014. We will communicate decisions about financial assistance on March 10, 2014.
We use School and Student Services (SSS) to process our financial assistance applications. Based on the financial information you provide in the Parents' Financial Statement (PFS), SSS gives us an estimated amount your family can contribute to educational expenses. We use this estimate as a starting point to help us make fair and objective financial assistance decisions. To begin your financial aid application for the 2014-15 school year, please follow the steps below. (You only have to complete one Parents' Financial Statement, even if you have several children applying.)
TO COMPLETE THE PARENTS' FINANCIAL STATEMENT (PFS) ONLINE
- Starting on November 1, 2013, go to the SSS website at sss.nais.org/parents. Click on the green "Apply Now" button to enter the PFS online.
- Log in to the PFS Online: Are you applying for aid for the first time? Click on the green "Create an Account" button. You'll be asked to enter your name and email and to select a password. If you applied last year just enter your existing login and password in the section labeled "Returning Families".
- Begin a PFS for academic year 2014-15. Download the PFS Online Workbook and refer to on-screen help for guidance along the way. You can log out of the PFS Online at any time then return later to complete your PFS.
- Submit and pay for the PFS. The fee of $41 is nonrefundable. Once you have paid for and submitted your PFS, we will receive your information at our school. Soon after you submit your PFS, you can go back to the PFS Online to submit any additional documents and to view your Family Report, which summarizes the information we will receive.
ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS WE REQUIRE:
In addition to the PFS form submitted by January 15, 2014, the following documents must be uploaded directly to SSS no later than March 1, 2014:
- 2013 Federal Income Tax Return 1040 will all related schedules
- All W-2 forms
SEND DIRECTLY TO NOBLES:
- Signed form 4506t. Download here: Form 4506-T.
The following information has been helpful to families in the past. However, if you have any questions feel free to contact Nan Bussey, Director of Financial Assistance at 781-320-7103 or email Nan_Bussey@nobles.edu.
- Nobles’ financial assistance awards are based solely on financial need, and the school is committed to fulfilling 100% of that need. Need is defined, most simply, as the difference between the School’s tuition and fees and what the family can reasonably contribute.
- The directions on the PFS must be followed carefully and completely. The form must be completed in every part. If your PFS is not completed according to the directions, processing by SSS will be delayed and your application may not reach Nobles on time for consideration by the Financial Assistance Committee.
- A Nobles financial assistance award is for one year only and application for renewal must be made each year by submitting a new PFS and current tax information.
- When determining a financial assistance award, Nobles considers the TOTAL cost of attendance. In addition to financial assistance for tuition Nobles gives $1,000 in additional aid to help cover other fees which can include textbooks, athletic equipment, field trips, school social events, etc. Financial Assistance is also given for optional programs such as instrumental lessons.
- Each student receiving financial assistance in Grades 9-12 is expected to earn money (during the summer or other breaks) toward his or her education. A Grade 12 student is expected to contribute $600, Grade 11, $500, Grade 10, $400, Grade 9, $300.
- CURRENT NOBLES FAMILIES NOT RECEIVING FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE – Students who enter Nobles without receiving financial assistance should not expect to receive financial assistance in future years unless there is a significant change in a family’s financial status. If the family feels there is a significant change in their financial circumstance, they must contact Nan Bussey to discuss their situation before applying for financial assistance.
- OTHER CHILDREN - Nobles expects that a family with children attending other tuition-charging schools will also apply for financial assistance at those schools. The Financial Assistance Committee at Nobles believes that in general no consideration of financial assistance should be given to students when parents will be paying full charge for siblings at other institutions. Nobles will expect proof of enrollment for other children in tuition-charging schools.
- SEPARATED, DIVORCED, OR NEVER MARRIED PARENTS - Nobles believes that each natural parent has a responsibility to pay (each according to his or her ability) for the education of their children. In the event a student’s parents are separated, divorced, or never married, Nobles requires a financial assistance application from each parent. Accordingly, each parent must file a PFS with SSS. Both parents are required to submit to SSS copies of their 2013 Federal Income Tax Return 1040 with all related schedules and W-2 forms. Please Note: Parents can be assured that all financial information received from one parent will not be shared with the other.
- PARENTS WHO OWN THEIR OWN BUSINESS – Parents who own their own business or who have a partnership are required to submit copies of their 2013 federal 1065 or 1120 business tax forms along with any K-1 forms.