It was great to see so many of you at Back to School Night and at the Middle School Parents’ Coffee. Many thanks to those who have already signed up to volunteer for our activities. If you have not done so, and would be interested in participating, please click here to complete your volunteer form online (also located in the password-protected parents pages) or return the hard copy to Maryanne MacDonald.
We also want to express our gratitude to all of the participants in the Multicultural Fair. Parents, faculty, staff and students attended and contributed in so many different ways: setting up tables, cooking, preparing displays, contacting artistic performers or groups, sending in native costumes for the fashion show, sending donations, coordinating set up for the gym, promoting the fair or volunteering to help in many other ways. The excitement and support was extraordinary and the afternoon was fun and a great success. We enjoyed the diverse and rich cultural heritages of the families. Thank you to the Nobles community for getting together and making it a wonderful day!
We are planning a Middle School Parent Fall Social (noted below) and we hope you can come and get to know a few more faces! Another annual event is the Thanksgiving Pie Drive. This is a Middle School fundraiser and community service event that takes place in November, but planning begins now! Please bring your ideas to the October planning meeting.
We hope you have had the chance to read through the “Unofficial Guide to Nobles,” and have found it helpful! For new families, it is posted on the Nobles website in the password-protected parents section. Information on accessing the private parents page was included in your folder on Back to School Night. In addition, since most information is delivered electronically, please be sure and check/read all emails and refer to http://www.nobles.edu for the latest information. Please contact your PA reps if we can answer your questions.
Important Dates for October
• Monday, Oct. 11 - Columbus Day, school closed.
• Wednesday, Oct. 13 - Parents' Association Meeting. Omni Rink from 8:15-9:30 a.m. Please note that the venue for the meeting has changed, and that we will gather at the Omni instead – not the Castle. Bob Henderson, our very own Head of School, will be our guest speaker – be sure not to miss this event!
• Friday and Saturday, Oct. 15 and 16 - Nobles Yard Sale for Scholarships. The Yard Sale is just around the corner. Please donate your best stuff and volunteer to help sort and set up! It's a great way to clean out your house and get to know other Nobles families. Plenty of opportunities remain if you want to get involved. Contact Yard Sale Co-chairs Barbara Ito or Genie Thorndike for further details or to volunteer. Thank you!
• Saturday, Oct. 16 - Admissions Fall Open House, 9 a.m.-12 p.m. Urge your friends and neighbors with Nobles-aged children to come!
• Monday, Oct. 18 - Middle School Long Advisor Meeting, 2:30-4 p.m. Middle School students will not have their Afternoon Program on this day. Plan to pick up your student from the Pratt Middle School at 4 p.m.
•Reminder to Middle School parents to save the date - Friday, Oct. 22, for the Fall Middle School Parents Social. It will take place in the Castle from 7-10 p.m. If you have any questions, please contact one of the Middle School Parent Representatives. Watch for an invitation in your mail.
•The Annual Middle School Pie Drive will take place in November. Stay tuned for the first volunteer planning meeting in October.
• Monday, Oct. 25 - Comment Writing Day, no school. There will be an evening lecture on Mon., Oct. 25 at 6:30 p.m. in the Lawrence Auditorium. Sponsored by PIN (Parents' Independent School Network), this year's topic is a timely one - bullying. Featured speaker Dr. Robin D’Antona is an expert in this area and one of the architects of the recent House bill on the subject. Open to all!
•There is no Afternoon Program on Tuesday Oct. 26, due to an all-school faculty meeting. But, we are looking for volunteers to be Time Gap Chaperones (a.k.a “Gap Chap”) from 4–5 p.m. Occasionally, when all faculty are in meetings during the school day, parents can be a huge help—keeping a passive eye of supervision on the students. You can bring a book or another parent to keep you company!
• Wednesday, Oct. 27 - Individual advisor/advisee meetings to discuss first quarter grades/comments. No Afternoon Program for Middle School. Meetings start at 1:45 p.m. and your child will be dismissed after his/her advisor meeting.
• Thursday, Oct. 28 - Nobles Night, 6:30-9:30 p.m. This is a festive evening to celebrate Nobles (for adults only!). Cocktails and hors d’oeuvres in the Morrison Athletic Center. Guests welcome.
• Friday, Oct. 29 - All School Halloween Dance, 7-10 p.m. at the Castle.
Class V Reps
Anu Gulati (email@example.com)
Heather Zink (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Class VI Reps
Carol Taiclet (email@example.com)
Heather Woodworth (firstname.lastname@example.org)