Creating Partnerships with Nonprofit Agencies Locally and Globally
Recent partnerships between Nobles and non-profit agencies continue to inspire and teach our students. Commitment and long-term connections insure that the work we do is both appropriate to the needs of the partner program, and useful as a learning tool for the student involved. Nobles students gave 176,032 service hours in the year of 2011-2012 alone. The following list is a representative sample sites so far this year:
Community Servings is an agency that feeds 700 ill or disabled shut-ins per day in Greater Boston.
826 Boston is an organization dedicated to supporting students ages 6 to 18 with their creative and expository writing skills, and to helping teachers inspire their students to write.
Cook's Afterschool Program is an agency supporting the children of the Needham Housing Project.
Travel Service Program:
March spring break trips to Romania, South Africa, New Orleans and Cambodia will again connect Nobles students and teachers to partner agencies in these areas who serve the needy. Many summer offerings will give students a chance to serve others during their next vacation time.
Student Clubs and Organizations & Events:
- Young Democrats drive provided SAT Prep Books to those who cannot afford them
- Student art work delivered to Home for Little Wanderers
- Habitat Club Build
- PIzza Sale at Middle School Arts Night benefited victims of Hurricane Sandy
Asian Culture Club ping pong tournament benefited the Child Medical Connection
Athletic Team Initiatives:
- The Girls Varsity Basketball team played in the annual Cotting School game to benefit the school's student population of developmentally disabled youngsters
- The Football Team hosted a winter coat drive for Cradles to Crayons
The Wrestling team's annual Pinathon benefited Cancer Research
Graduation Service Requirement:
In order to graduate, each student must submit 80 documented hours of service to others, pre-approved by the Community Service Deptartment. Six reflective journal entries completes this service task.